Monday, July 7, 2008

Niwot Crit

I swear to God I am going to have a good Niwot Crit one year! This was not the year. I felt sluggish warming up; I felt sort sluggish on the first few laps which were fast. The group felt the need to chase down two children from RMCEF who for whatever reason decided that a two up break was a good move 200 meters into the race.

I let myself slip back too far into the group then suffered from the corner jumping. With two 120 degree corners in a row and a bunch of 90s thrown in, being too far back is bad. I lasted about 30 minutes and as a gap opened in front of me I had had it. I saw a group behind and when they reached me it was apparent that they were in desperate riding mode and not working together. Some of the guys in the group were complaining about disorganization as they caught me so I just called it and let them go. The weirdness of dropping out of a crit halfway is that I always feel more fatigue after those 30 minutes than I do after having a good race for 60. The good thing about this race is that there were a ton of people taking pictures and if I wasn't fast I certainly looked good. "It's better to look good than to feel good."...Fernando

Speaking of looking good, you think the ACA would let me race something like this at Niwot next year?

No comments: