Monday, July 14, 2008

Longmont Crit - State Championships

99 starters in this thing. I was at my traditional front 10 at the start and the pace seemed relatively lively. I was doing a pretty good job surfing around the pack until about 7 or 8 laps to go when my hip started to do it's thing and I bailed out with 6 to go. In hindsight, I will be taking ibuprofen and sucking it up from now on. As soon as I bailed, the break was caught and the pace dropped to a "let's all give up and accept a sprint finish so nobody wants to be in front" level.

Crashes, yes there were crashes. In fact, one nice and gory one right in front of me. I got a free lap pulling the "tip over" scam. There was no way I was going to close the gap opened up by the body pile. Testosterone and shitty cornering makes for a nice bloody race every week. It is pretty amazing that some of these guys actually show up every week and haven't been scared off yet.



Congratulations to Alan McCormack (51) who won the crit state championships and Randy Reichardt who took 2nd!

No comments: