Wednesday, July 2, 2008

CSP Table Mountain Crit aka PseudoMead aka Wheels of Thunder course

Good race this week. The wind wasn't at its normal guttering pack exploding level. Just a nice little breeze which put us all trying to stay protected in only a few sections. I attempted a points sprint and came around 6th or 7th. No point or points.

Attacks were frequent and finally a 5 man break got away (way away) with 2 or 3 chasers. One Vitamin Cottager in the break and 1 in the chase group. I went to the front and blocked for a few laps until I saw the chasers coming back then went back into the pack for a bit. I tried to move up as much as possible when there was a good spot. That seemed to work out. I was toward the front for the final sprint but not in what anyone would call good positioning. Senor Speedy, Brent Ertz, had good spot and a pretty good lead-out from one of the VC guys. He took 2nd in the field sprint which got him 7th overall. He went pretty early around his lead-out but they had little gap behind them and was able to hold off most of the pursuers. I jumped on a group on the other side of the road and came in around 15th-ish. Average speed for the whole deal was 27.9 for about an hour so training-wise it was a great race for me. I am taking a guess here but I am pretty sure the same Slipstream guy took it again this week.

Here's an Alberto Tomba quote for the ages:

"I used to have a wild time with three women until 5 a.m., but I am getting older. In the Olympic Village here, I will live it up with five women, but only until 3 a.m." -Alberto Tomba

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh good God. Please tell me you have no delusions that you are in any way like LaBomba Tomba.
- Jaime