Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dare To Be Stupid - Salida Crit

I decided that today I would try to go with a break. Some time around the first Prime would be good. I let Kenny know in case he felt the overwhelming desire to block. Matt Barrowclough was also at the start but I didn't have time to talk to him.

Right from the gun a little RMCEF twerp and Robbie Stout (Horizon Organic) took off and I had an open line to get on their wheels. After turn #2 we had a pretty large gap thanks to one of Robbie's teammates and Lee Herndon (RMRC). Things were going really well for such a ridiculous attack. Then the first prime was called. We were working well together and the dude from CSU, known for pointless early attacking, came up with at least one other guy. Nice! Now we have at least 5 in the break and blockers! The stupid early attack might actually stay away for a while! Then within a block it was no longer to be. Something ignited way back in Robbie's brain stem that said, me need food...go fast...get prime for food...me hungry. So he basically turned the last two corners into a 5 up sprint for a prime blowing the crap out of a good group.
So much for working together. I was not going to chase after that kind of silliness so I sat up. The pack came around and I was a little cooked. Needless to say, the fracturing break incited the field to crank it up and I tried as hard as I could to stay attached. One dude in front of me totally gapped the last 15 in the pack and I had to close it. After being out early, it was more than I could take. The shelling came quick. I tried to ride with Robbie and keep the pack in sight in case they sat up a bit but it was not meant to be. He was done within a few laps and I don't think he got the prime. Oh...still so hungry and no gift certificate. Bummer dude. Is this the reason that most Cat 3 breaks don't succeed? Lack of communication? Feeling the need to attack the group for a gift certificate?

Kenny Rowe attacked on a late prime (5-6 to go) and eased up to go back to the pack leaving an RMRC guy out front. Matt B. saw his opportunity and attacked when Kenny was absorbed. He got a really good gap, passing the RMRC guy who was still off the front. He did a great job keeping his gap and it started raining. Rain is good news to anyone off the front. The pack has a much harder time getting around the corners in the rain. Matt held off the RMRC guy and took the win!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Sorry about that, lesson learned.