Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wheels of Thunder

Oh yeah baby, the 3s never let you down when it comes to crashing. Wheels of Thunder's new course, out on the wide open, undeveloped office park plains of Centennial, had wide roads, no really difficult turns and nice rollie terrain. When I say wide roads, I mean freakin hugely wide. Our race was 60 minutes at an average of a little less than 4 minute laps(1.6 miles per lap). The wind was pretty strong all over the course and was in our face up the little hill to the start/finish and through the long straight that followed. No real chance a break was going to succeed without serious cooperation.

My goal was to survive. I have been nursing a head cold and sore throat for a few days. I figured I was going to hide in the pack and have a headache for an hour. I was right. All was well throughout the race and since I am super lazy when it comes to sprinting for 30th I sat up after the first hill on the last lap and popped off the back for a last lap cool down spin. Let the 20 year-olds contest 30th. I also figured that since there hadn't been a pile up yet, fate would catch up to us. From about 3/4 mile from the finish the carnage started to appear. Two guys on the right hit the only speed limit sign within a few miles and bent it over. I don't blame the organizers for not padding it. The thing was on the outside of a giant sweeper, up a slight hill, and on a road that is easily 3 lanes wide. I had to look twice to get it to register in my brain what I was seeing. As I rounded the last corner the walking wounded were limping up the hill to the finish on both sides of the road. Apparently the Ambulances were out on the course tending to fallen for most of the 4s race. Anyone who says that being a 3 makes you a better rider than a 4 is high. You might be faster but in general the same shit happens in both categories. Stay in front, stay alive.

No comments: