Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Boulder Crit Series #1

That was a great race. I can't say that I was great but it was definitely worth the drive for the workout. Boulder is great place for a mid-week crit series; there's always at least one pro dude who shows up. Last night it was Danielson who showed to initiate the attacking along with a good collection of Vitamin Cottage guys and some of the remaining Aussie kids who haven't gone home.

I blocked a bunch at the beginning and got into a rotating echelon with some of the elite VCers. That only lasted a few laps for me. Those guys are way stronger and I needed to get back into the pack and recover a bit. Eventually I found myself in the back pack. The "dropped" are always the dumbest riders and can't seem to accept their fate.

There is always at least one who has to attack the group instead of working with us. At one point I said to my teammate, "holy shit...it's an echelon...sweet. We're working together." The next corner our dipshit du jour, who had been sitting on the back, came around and attacked us. Basically that was the last time we tried to work together. If you aren't with us, you're against us.

I sat up for a lap to recover a bit and fix my glasses; it was dark and I couldn't see anything (Couldn't see with or without those things). I got back on our group as they came around and sat on the dipshit. With 2 laps to go, I told my teammate that I would lead him out. The course was about a .7 mile lap and with one to go I ramped it up about halfway. Unfortunately I gapped him on the 90 degree turn into the finish and the leadout didn't really work out. We did effectively drop everyone in our group though. It was a good race, all-in-all and I'll be back next week.

No comments: